Advanced Micro Systems
Advanced Micro Devices, incorporated in 1969, is a semiconductor manufacturer with manufacturing facilities in the United States, Europe and Asia and sales offices throughout the world. The company designs, manufactures and markets industry-standard, digital integrated circuits that are used in various product applications, such as desktop and mobile personal computers, workstations, servers, communications equipment and automotive and consumer electronics.
- significant contributions to charitable projects with a high social relevance
- comprehensive programmes to eliminate hazardous substances in production processes
- strategy to minimise energy consumption of products and comprehensive customer information on energy-saving features
- lack of transparency regarding the company's strategy to reduce the environmental impact of transport and business travel
- lack of transparency regarding a corporate policy on freedom of association
Reasons for inclusion in the Index:
AMD champions technology transfer between developed and less-developed countries, as well as promoting access to IT technology for poorer population groups through, among other things, the development of cheaper and easier-to-use hardware and support for the 100-Dollar Laptop Initiative to supply laptops to schools.